Wednesday, August 23, 2006

You CAN Learn Medicine!

I've not been posting to my blog much lately (!!), but I've got an idea. I'm considering moving (or copying) my postings of various medical explanations (endocrinology, mostly -- diabetes, Addison's Disease, etc.).

The idea is to build an "introduction to medicine" for patients -- you too can learn Medicine. (As opposed to learning to be a Doctor -- an entirely different problem).

And just to be clear: I am NOT a doctor, and if I WERE a doctor, I am not YOUR doctor, and even if I were YOUR doctor, I'm posting general info on the internet, and not examining you. Anything you learn here should be a starting point for a conversation with your doctor.

I have strong opinions about the importance of patient involvement in medical care. To do that, we need to educate ourselves, in order to be able to participate in and direct our care.

I post a lot of diabetes-related stuff on the forum at diabetes.about.com, which is a good place for support. I also post on several forums and lists on Addison's Disease.

No comments: