Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Lawyers everywhere, but can't find one when you need one

... because they're all on holiday.

So I went to the law library today. Needed references on writs of mandate. I told the librarian what I needed, and he looked at the clock. "Not two hours into the new year, and Murphy's Law has struck twice!"

I gave him a sort of puzzled, expectant look.

He led me over to a shelf and pointed to an empty binder that had what I needed. HAD what I needed -- until some theiving lawyer had stolen it. "Shocking! Theives among lawyers! Our dark secret; nobody knows better than us there are thieves among lawyers!".

So he gets me a more advanced pair of large binders, entitled "Administrative Mandamus".

I've made it through the first couple chapters so far. I've got to get back there somehow tomorrow. Hard to do around here when the DMV has said you can't drive until THEY get around to renewing your license, SOMEDAY!

I'll write more on this what all this is about another day, but for now: if you have diabetes, and you live in California, and you renew your license -- ignore anything they tell you at the counter. The Driver Safety Office makes their own rules, and ignores anything they do for you at the main license-renewal counter -- and those rules are based on the assumption that you are an imminent danger to society, and if they can catch you up in their rules, you're screwed. And your only route of appeal is a writ of mandate from a Superior Court Judge.

And school starts today, so I've lost my newly-licensed teenager as driver.

Oh, and there's no point in renewing early.

No comments: